Monday 18 August 2008

Chateau de Lacquy XO 15 yo

I've not bought a bottle of armagnac for myself yet. This is for several reasons - I have no idea what to buy when it comes to value for money, I have a limited number of liver cells which I prefer to spend on whisky, and most importantly, brandy needs to be enjoyed after a meal (or with a cigar, but I've not found one that needs a good Cuban). For all these reasons, it's probably better for me to order an armagnac in a restaurant, depending on what they have.

So, with this newly formulated policy in mind, I ordered a Chateau de Lacquy "Reference" XO 15 yo at the Garrison (a pretty good gastropub which I'll review soon). I originally wanted their VSOP (it was cheaper) but they'd run out, and the marginal cost wasn't that big. Image from Cave Elzevir.

Chateau de Lacquy "Reference" XO 15 yo
Single producer armagnac - Bas Armagnac (Lacquy)
42% ABV
Amber rose

Nose: Mint, prunes, Japanese ume, hints of coffee.
Mouthfeel: Light body, slightly syrupy.
Tasting: Bitter sweet. Oaky, white grapes, white pepper, raisins, chocolate, orange peel, hints of coffee.
Finish: Long. Honey, raisins, kiwi fruit.

This is supposed to be a "great" producer, and the XO "Reference" expression is certainly very interesting and complex. There are quite a lot of flavours here, and I must say that it's a lot easier to find the fruit in armagnac than in whisky.

The vineyard is located in the town of Lacquy, in the Bas Armagnac producing region, and is run by the de Boisseson family. They do 4 main expressions, a VSOP 6 yo (which I couldn't try), a Hors d'Age 12 yo, this "Reference" XO 15 yo and a Reserve Exceptionelle (20-25 yo). This vineyard has been producing armagnac for centuries.

Vineyard size: 15 hectares
Chai: Well-organised, humid barn, dirt floor.
Soil: sables limoneux, sables fauves (sand and iron-rich sand, with some ocean sediment).
Barrels: Gascon, Limousin.
Grapes: Ugni Blanc (50%), Bacco (50%).

- from Armagnac, by Charles Neal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am the Attachée de Presse for Armagnac and was interested to see your post on Armagnac Chateau de Lacquy. As you know, Armagnac is very diverse differing from producer to producer and of course we have vintages which are also all very different. I would be very happy to recommend some Armagnacs to you that you might be able to find locally if you get in touch and let me know where you are. As far as matching cigars, Armagnac have taken part in the Havana festival for several years now and there are some really great matches to be had. Armagnac you will find is also very good value for money. The armagnac.fr website will be online in english soon but if you would prefer to contact me, please do: amanda.garnham@armagnac.fr