Thursday 8 May 2008

Glen Grant 30 yo 1976/2007 (They call me mellow fellow...)

The Pretty Lady bought this whisky for my birthday. It's not quite the same age as I am (in fact it's slightly older) but it did spend a fairly long time in the barrel. It was the second whisky I've tasted from the Douglas Laing Old Malt Cask series (or at least, the first bottle I've opened - I've got a bottle of 25 yo Port Ellen which I tasted at Whisky Live), and I loved it. Perfect drinking strength at 50%, no water needed, not that I like to add water anyway. They have some good casks at Douglas Laing.

Anyway, this whisky is almost a brandy, it's spent so long in the barrel. I think it's what they had in mind when they coined the term "sherry monster". It's oaky, sherry sweet, fruity and slightly floral, and has the slightly sharp smell that I associate with a really good armagnac. In fact, the first time I tasted it I actually checked the bottle to make sure that I had gotten the right one.

Glen Grant 30 yo 1976/2007 (Douglas Laing Old Malt Cask)
Single malt - Speyside
Mahogany
50% ABV

Nose: Sweet sherry, walnuts, oak, raisins and malt. Hints of blackberry and cherry.
Mouthfeel: Medium body, syrupy, a little astringent. Great drinking strength!
Tasting: Sweet. Raisins, cherries, oak and beer. Tastes almost exactly like a cognac. Hints of 'rubber band', an astringent sharp taste that all brandies have.
Finish:
Long. White wine, dry and cooling. Fades to malty beer - the cognac is gone.


I'll match it with the king of sweets - jelly beans. Why? Well, several reasons - we have a big bag lying around on the table, disturbing such a delicious whisky is best done in concentrated hits of flavour, and lastly, why not jelly beans?

1. Root beer

A biggish sip of whisky overpowers the jelly bean completely. Maybe a little less - ah, the flavours are combining, but in a strange way. Oak, no sweetness at all. It's like biting an oak beam. Other woody flavours become apparent - cedar, a bit of sandalwood, maybe a little pine. And the finish has hints of liquorice. Interesting but not great.

2. Watermelon

Small sips are the order of the day. Becomes buttery, creamy even. The watermelon fruit fades to caramel, with some popcorn on the side. Green beans, something vegetal. And through it all, lots of oak. Interesting, but not great.

3. Pineapple

Hmm... the whisky pares back the artificial pineapple flavour, creating something that tastes more natural. A little smoke emerges. Coconut, a bit like pina colada with a dash of whisky. More oak. This is far more pleasant than the previous two.

4. Caramel popcorn

The oak is gone! More caramel, this time tinged with sherry from the whisky. Fades very quickly. Very buttery with the second sip of whisky. The corn flavour added into the mix creates something that tastes a little like bourbon.

5. Jalapeno pepper

The whisky is more obvious here. I can still taste the raisins, the brandy-like spike in the mouth. But it's all overlaid with a vegetal, slightly sour spicy hit. Quite peppery, like a sherried Talisker, but with far more heat. I like this combination.

6. Strawberry shortcake

The fruit has been transformed by the whisky into something more cherry-like. There's a little milk, butter and honey. More oak, lots of oak. Nothing much else - quite boring.

The jalapeno pepper jelly bean combo is the best. However, I think both whisky and bean might be better on their own, unless there's a craving for some Talisker-like kick.

No comments: