Friday 27 June 2008

Lazarus distilleries (2) - Rosebank renaissance?

I blogged about several distilleries coming back to life here. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the malts from those distilleries, so while happy (more whisky = good) I wasn't really too excited. There are certainly a number of others which I would love to see start producing again - more than any other. They are Rosebank, Brora and Port Ellen.

I blogged about Rosebank here. As the site has been demolished and there's no sign of Diageo wanting to revive the brand (beyond securing a good price for the remaining stock), I thought that was pretty much it for the king of Lowlands whiskies.

Until now... maybe. Yesterday I was trawling some whisky forums and found this and this. Apparently a company called The Falkirk Distillery Company has lodged a planning application to built a distillery outside Falkirk near a place called Laurieston. Some posters on the Whiskymag forum assert that this is near the original site of the Rosebank distillery before it moved to its last home on the other side of Falkirk.

So maybe Diageo has decided to release the Rosebank name (and its remaining stocks) after all. Maybe Rosebank is coming back to life. Here's hoping that this is so. And may Brora and Port Ellen be resurrected too.

No comments: