Wednesday 25 June 2008

Chateau Talbot 1999 (weirdly smoky)

One of the people I have a work relationship with was nice enough to take me out to lunch and order a good bottle of wine to boot. I'm grateful, I really am, when I get treated to lunch, but I do often feel that I'm not worth it. Don't tell them though, otherwise I won't often have a gem of a wine to blog about.

My colleague likes French wines (naturellement, being French), and he asked if I would like a Burgundy or a Bordeaux. I don't usually drink at lunch, so I thought I would go for something lighter, and so requested a Bordeaux. So he ordered this interesting specimen.

Chateau Talbot 1999
Red wine
France (Bordeaux, St Julien)
30% Merlot, 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Petit Verdot

Nosing: Smoky, meaty and fruity. Lagavulin and blackberries.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, smooth, astringent. Lots of sediment in the bottle.
Tasting: Melon, herbs, oak, caramel, and underlying fruit. More blackberries

Chateau Talbot is a fourth growth vineyard in St Julien. It's named after John Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury, an English warrior who died in the Battle of Castillon in 1453. The vineyard has 102 hectares of red wine grapes and 5 hectares of white wine grapes under cultivation, so reds predominate in their product mix. This particular marque has a long pedigree - see here, for instance. In addition to Chateau Talbot, the vineyard produces a cheaper, younger version, Connetable Talbot, as well as Caillou Blanc, a dry white wine.

No comments: