Wednesday 2 July 2008

Slyrs, the German whisky

During a recent trip to Munich, I was mooching around airport duty-free with the Pretty Lady when I spotted this:

Bavarian single malt whisky, distilled at Slyrs distillery in Schliersee, Bavaria. It was a 3 year whisky, distilled 2004. According to Celtic Malts, the barley is wood-smoked, not peat-smoked. I wonder what it tastes like.

Unfortunately I didn't buy it (I was toting a 1 litre bottle of Lagavulin Distillers' Edition at that time), due to space constraints on my little whisky shelf at home. Maybe I can find a little sample bottle somewhere. Or I could wait till they release their 12 year old expression in 2015...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

duuuuude :) i just tasted the 1976 armagnac at the east room last night. it was so good! more heavy than the 82. yours for only 20 quid. lol. :P seriously though...

Red Hare said...

Haha. Might do that next week at work drinks. I've got a book on armagnac, the vineyards and the negociants if you're interested...

Anonymous said...

Hi - does anyone know where I could buy a bottle of Slyrs - either in the UK or over the net? Thanks, SN

Red Hare said...

Sorry, neither the Whisky Exchange or Royal Mile Whiskies have it in stock it seems. You could try eBay, or attend a Whisky Live if the Slyrs people happen to be exhibitors. The only place I've seen it is in Munich Airport duty free.

Red Hare said...

In my experience if you contact the staff at the Whisky Exchange or Royal Mile Whiskies and ask them if they know where to get rare expressions, they'll have a few ideas. I recommend you drop them an email.

Anonymous said...

red hare - Many thanks. Strangely I was in Munich last week, where I tasted the Slyrs at a Holiday Inn to the south of the city. I looked in Duty free on the way back, with no joy. But some terminals/outlets are bigger and better than others - I guess you were in the newer Terminal 2? I'm sure I'll be out there again in the next month or so - I will have another look. In the meantime I will try your other suggestion. Cheers, SN