Monday 11 February 2008

Restaurant scoring

Looking back on my restaurant review posts, I think they would be better reviews if I scored the restaurants at the end of the review. I do have an idea in my head as to which restaurants I've reviewed are better, but I suppose it would help readers if I broke down the reasons as to why I prefer them. Not to mention that it would help my own thought process. It would also give me a base to evaluate whether or not a restaurant has improved or deteriorated after repeat visits.

Seeing as I've already reviewed several restaurants, I can therefore use these to base my scores. I've decided on the following scoring system:
  • Tastiness, freshness and quality - out of 30 points. This is basically for the food. Is it tasty? Do the flavours go well? Are the ingredients of good quality?
  • Creativity and skill - out of 30 points. Is the chef being faithful to old favourites or does he look for a twist? Each restaurant seems to have a food philosophy - how does the chef interpret this?
  • Service - out of 20 points. This is dependent on the type of restaurant it is. I don't expect Michelin-level service at a cafe, for example, or constant refills of my glass at my local Japanese restaurant.
  • Ambience and decor - out of 10 points. How comfy are my surroundings? Do they detract from the meal? I have to say that this isn't that important - I could endure discomfort for truly good food.
  • Value for money - out of 10 points. This is a catch-all category, basically it evaluates the 4 previous categories against the price I paid for the meal. If it was worth it (and the most expensive meals I have had have been), then the restaurant gets a high score here.
This will do for a start. It fits in with my own personal philosophy - that food should be paramount, and that good food is the best part of a restaurant experience. I'll edit each old post and put the scores at the bottom of the post. I'll also add something in the sidebar to show recently reviewed and re-reviewed restaurants. I'll also stop doing this if it doesn't work, but for now, let's see...

No comments: